The following "School History" is a brief summary obtained from reports made by
Mattie C. Hines in 1951, and Susan Mahon in 1976. Their research and interest in this history of our school is admired and greatly appreciated. Copies of
their entire reports may be seen at The Mitchell County Library and West Texas Museum. Additional information has been added since then through research by others.
The first schools of Mitchell County were organized under the school laws of 1876 which provided that "one-fourth or less" of the occupational and advalorem taxes was to
be set aside for public schools. The people were permitted to organize themselves into school communities to take advantage of the benefits of the available school fund.
These communities had no definite boundaries and could be reorganized each year. Even though the boundaries could be changed, it gave some permanence to the schools and some
incentive toward building schoolhouses. Often the school buildings were shifted from one location to another to accommodate the greater number of children.
In 1884, this community school organization was discarded and provision was made by the new school laws, for the organization of districts with definite boundary lines.
This new school law also permitted the people to vote local taxes for their operation.
Mitchell county was originally divided into two common school districts. On June 13, 1890, School District Number One petitioned for an election to see if the citizens favored the
levying of taxes to the amount of twenty cents on the $100.00, to supplement the State School Fund apportionment. On June 17, 1890, School District Number Two petitioned for
the same election.
This law, authorizing the local districts to vote a school tax up to twenty cents on the $100.00 valuation, further provided that two-thirds of the property owners had to vote in
favor of such a tax in order that it be established; therefore, few schools throughout Texas voted any tax. The citizens of Mitchell County showed their eagerness for better schools
for their children by voting favorably on this issue. Not until 1908 was the two-thirds rule abolished.
There were several early schools located in Mitchell County during the early 1890's, most of which were only temporary, making the data hard to establish.
The first list of the common schools of Mitchell County found in the Commissioner's Court Records of February 15, 1908, cites these schools: Center School, North Champion, Longfellow,
Seven Wells, Valley View, Zellner, Shepherd, Looney, Rogers, Cuthbert, Westbrook, Conaway, Union, Liberty, Fairview, Horn's Chapel, Iatan, Daniels and Oliver.
These common schools were carried on in the two independent districts of Colorado City and Loraine until May 17, 1908.
On April 3, 1911, another subdivision took place and the following names were applied to the common schools of the county: Longfellow, Shepherd, Valley View, North Champion, Plainview,
McKenzie, Zellner, Union, Rogers, Womack, Horn's Chapel, Fairview, Cuthbert and Looney.
On May 9, 1911, Iatan Common School District was sub-divided into two districts. Daniels, which had been a part of Iatan, was made a separate district.
These divisions remained for several years, although sections of land were added to and subtracted from each of them and new schools were organized until there were twenty-nine common school
districts by August, 1923, as follows: Longfellow, Lone Star, Carr, Payne, Cuthbert, Rogers, Dorn, Spade, Buford, Seven Wells, Looney, Fairview, Valley View, Shepherd, North Champion, Lowe,
Horn's Chapel, McKenzie, Conaway, Little Sulphur, Baumann, Landers, Silver and Hyman, Westbrook, Loraine, Colorado City, Iatan and Daniels.
Most of the common school districts reached the height of their progress by 1934-35 and began to consolidate with the three independent school districts of Westbrook,
Loraine and Colorado City.
Consolidation for Loraine was as follows:
1. Lone Star - Highest grades were transferred 1936-1937
2. Looney - All students living on the east side of the district transferred for the term of 1943-1944.
3. Valley View - All students transferred for the term of 1941-1942.
4. North Champion - Entire school transferred for the term 1935-1936.
<---5. Baumann - All students transferred for the term 1940-1941.
6. Landers - All students transferred for the term 1939-1940.
7. Silver - entire school transferred in 1937-1938
In 1934-1935, when the common school districts had reached their peak and began to transfer their higher grades to the high schools, Loraine enrolled 392 pupils in the eleven grades,
97 of whom were transfers from the adjoining common school districts. As school bus transportation became a success it was proved that it would be more economical to transfer and
transport more grades to the nearest high school, so by 1949 all the schools of the county were being sent to either Loraine, Colorado City or Westbrook.
Loraine Independent School District was increased from its original 25 square miles by the consolidation movement. The common school districts of North Champion, Lone Star, Baumann,
and a part of Longfellow, Shepherd, Valley View, Looney, McKenzie, Silver and Landers became a part of the Loraine Independent School District in the summer of 1949.
The enrollment, based on original entries for the year of 1949-1950 reached 478 with an average daily attendance of 378.7. Two hundred and forty-five were transported by the five buses
owned by the school. Eighteen teachers were employed in the system.
Loraine was a Class B accredited high school with 32 affiliated units. The elementary school was also accredited. There were 88 pupils enrolled in high school during the 1949-1950 session.
University Interscholastic League reclassified all schools during the 70's and Loraine was reclassified from Class B to Class A. Due to the drop in enrollment for the school year
1986 Six Man Football was initiated and is currently played. Currently there is an enrollment of approximately 175 students, with approximately 15 teachers and teacher aides.
In 1989, the Loraine track team consisting of: Shawn Finley, Rudy Sanchez, Joey Lujan,Luis Leija, and Anthony Williams won the first 6-man state track meet.
They won the 400m and the 1600m relays. They were unable to defend their title in 1990 due to injuries.
The Bulldog Team was named Six-Man Army Strong Team of the Week for their win in the Area game on November 19, 2010 against Dawson by a score of 72-24.
The Bulldogs' season ended with their loss in the rematch with Sterling City in the State Quarter Finals game on November 26, 2010. The 2010 Loraine Football season was one to remember
and the Bulldogs can be proud of their exciting season of 11 wins and 2 losses.
In 1893, a small group of students were taught in a little red school house. It stood somewhere near the train depot. This began the
education for young people of Loraine.
The second school house was a white frame building located at the foot of the hill from where the present school is located. This building was built in 1905. In 1907 a concrete block school
was built, which was used until 1924.
A two story red brick building was built and classes were held in "OLD RED" from 1924 - 1952.
A picture of school used from 1953 to 2013.
On May 12, 2012 a bond election was held for a bond of $12 million. The money will be used to build a new classroom building that will be connected to the "new" gym and vocational building.
It will be on the south part of the current school campus. This will be the third (3rd) school building on this campus.
The current school first used in August 2013.
Recorded in the Mitchell County Court House is the following:
Grantor: Sim J. Drake et al, Warranty Deed dated July 17, 1907, Filed
November 7, 1907, Book 33, pg 273.
Grantee: Loraine Ind. School, Price $1.00, consists of lots 3, 4, 5, 6,
in Block 37, East of Lightfoot and South of Market Ave.
This is the corner where the Baptist Church now stands. There was a school building located in this area according to one historical account. It was a
temporary school after moving from downtown (west of the ice house and south of the tracks) and before the two-story concrete block school on the hill was
Also, another school pruchase:
Granter: Charles J. Canda, Sim J. Drake, Sigmund Neustadt, Warranty Deed dated January 16, 1911, Filed January 24, 1911, Book 33, pg 372.
Grantee: Loraine Ind. School, Price $180.00, $60.00 down plus two notes #11445 and # 11446 each for $60.00, interest at 6%, consists of lots 5, 6, 7, 8, in Block 29 located at
corner of Hinson and Campbell.
What was built on this land is not known. It is by where the Catholic Church stands today.
In 1941-42 the high school students edited an annual, "The Lorainian", and a weekly newspaper, "The Mastiff", which was published as a part of The Mitchell County News.
All phases of athletics are carried on: football, volleyball, softball, baseball, tennis, basketball and track. The athletic teams are still known as the "Bulldogs".
In 1962, the annual became know as "The Bulldog".
An artist's drawing of the planned gym in 1938. This gymn is now torn down to make way for the 2013 school.
The Loraine Parent-Teachers' Association, organized in 1918, was and is still a very active force in the school's history. A Band Club, organized in 1949 for the purpose of buying
uniforms for the members of the band, was another club that played an important part in the school's program and success.
Mrs. Jim Johnson, a retired schoolteacher who lived in Loraine for 57 years, wrote this poem about Loraine and its early settlers.
Eighteen hundred and eighty one,
The railroad trains began to run
Where Loraine stands.
This opened up the vast domains,
And migrants came to view the plains
And buy the land.
Not only did they come by train
To settle here around Loraine,
To make a home -
But day by day in wagon loads
they traveled on the dusty roads,
And stayed no more to roam.
But soon they found they needed much
To give the place a homey touch,
And work began.
New Homes were built and streets surveyed
With church and school foundations laid.
To fill each plan.
So thus our town grew apace,
And soon became a happy place
For all to see.
So many persons of renown,
Have helped to build our little town,
That we should grateful be.
Our doctors, lawyers, farmers, preachers,
Bankers, merchants, school and teachers,
Helped it grow.
And after three score years and ten,
We carry on "through thick and thin"
With hearts aglow.
And, thus, through many happy years
Our own hometown deserves our cheers
With might and main.
We have no reason to be sad,
But many things to make us glad
We Live in Loraine.
Sing cheers for Loraine High
Echo her name
Sing praises to the sky and
Laud her courage, sing her fame and
Wave high the gold and black
Colors so true
And til the end we'll sing and
Bring our faith and future hopes to you.
Please click below to hear our school song music (MP3 format).
School Song Version 2 (MP3 format)
On ye Bulldogs, On ye Bulldogs
Fight right through that line
Throw the ball around the field
A Touchdown sure this time
On ye Bulldogs, On ye Bulldogs
Fight'em For Your Fame
Fight Bulldogs, Fight, Fight, Fight
You'll Win This Game
Please click below to hear the Bulldogs Fight Song (MP3 format).
© Copyright 2001 -
by Loraine Ex-Student Association.